Friday 4 November 2011

We meet again Mr. Winch

A few weeks ago a friend of mine recommended me to see Largo Winch 1 and 2 and since I’m not late to follow up on movie related advice…

Largo Winch is played by the French award winning comedian Tomer Sisely and let me tell you, this guy isn’t just a pretty face: through the movie he speaks three different languages, does many of his own stunts and generally kicks ass. He’s charming and looks absolutely delicious. What I love most about Sisely is that he’s something as unique as VERY GOOD AT ENGLISH. I don’t mean to be opinionated but the truth is that in my experience the French aren’t usually very good at English and I admire people who can speak languages without sounding as if they just skipped the lessons on pronunciation. Languages are also important for me to create a realistic setting because honestly, English isn’t the native tongue of the entire planet - no matter what the Hollywood movie corporations might have been telling you just to please the crowd too lazy to read subtitles. Personally, I love subtitles since they taught me English at a young age and allow me to watch thousands of different movie masterpieces from all over the world.

The story is as follows: a secretive billionaire by the name of Nerio Winch is murdered where after the adoptive son Largo, hidden since birth and adventurer at heart, is announced heir upon which various problems ensue when Largo needs to sort out his father’s mistakes.


Now, the first movie was awesome from start to finish but I guess I’ll have to blame my love for language –savvy actors, conspiracy theories and pretty boys for that opinion. The second movie is a bit more… desperate somehow. Sisely is there, the different languages are there and the conspiracy theories are there but I guess they didn’t spend as much time on finding at least decent actors this time. A bright beacon of light to look out for is the butler Gauthier who’s just hilarious.

Unfortunately, I haven’t read the novels or the comics about Largo Winch, who apparently was supposed to try and rival James Bond but I don’t know… I think that’s impossible for anyone. Largo is more like Bruce Wayne for whom the money is just a bonus and the hero costume is redundant. On the other hand I have nothing to compare the movies to in terms of base material
Anyway, I enjoyed the movies, it was great fun and so THANK YOU.

More recommendations coming?

2 comments:

  1. jag antar att du sett limitless?
    värd att ses annars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, Limitless är en MYCKET smart film. :)

    ReplyDelete