Monday 10 January 2011

Vampire Diaries - we're through

I’m now officially done with anything to do with The Vampire Diaries. I just finished The Vampire Diaries – The Return: Shadow Souls by L.J. Smith only to realize that I’ve got four books left in the series. As if I'd bother.
What really ticks me off is how the tv series could become so dull and tedious after only a season and a half (if there’s only one character left to appreciate – Damon Salvatore/Ian Somerhalder – I’d say there’s nothing left to see) when, at least, the novels keep getting you confused with all the far-fetched twists and turns and creatures from all kinds of cultures to put the main characters in deep doo-doo.
Like so many other authors, L.J. Smith suffers from making her characters infallible. Elena Gilbert, the girl we all (including all the other characters of the novels/series) follow in awe, is invincible. The fantasy genre of books is full of these characters (ever read an Eddings book?) that can (almost) never lose and always come out alive at the other end no matter what obstacles they run into (mostly thanks to their awesome godly strength or wit or cunning or whatnot).
Also, it annoys me that they had to change the name of the town from Fell’s Church to Mystic Falls when it had a perfectly good name to begin with.

Bah.

1 comment:

  1. Jag började läsa böckerna för jag ville veta hur det slutade, sen när jag insåg att böckerna inte riktigt stämmer överens med serien gav jag upp.
    och eeeeh. Yummie, me wanna eat!

    kramar jessica

    ReplyDelete