Sunday 30 January 2011

Torchlight

I’m sorry for only writing in Swedish lately but I’ve been too busy to concentrate on any other language due to too much of the game Torchlight.

In the spirit of Diablo and Titan Quest (the only two PC games I’ve bothered to develop some love for and buy) you, the Adventurer, enter the troubled mining city of Torchlight and are immediately tasked with finding valuable yet dangerous stones, generally saving people from evil creatures and seeking treasure together with your loyal pet (a dog or lynx).


The game is simple - if you don’t mess up completely you’re somewhat invincible and immortal given that even boss fights leave you reasonably unscathed if not totally unharmed. After playing for a while I sense the greatest weakness of the game – the missions. There’s a bard, a geologist, an adventurer, two treasure hunters and a convertedmonster girl who all task you with different quest based on their profession/situation. You defeat great evils that the bard will then write about and/or recieve rewards, you find valuable stones for the geologist, you save the adventurer’s ass and you find the treasure hunters' treasure for them and then recieve fame and experience points. After 28 levels I’ve started to get bored with the constant repetition.

I smell the sweet rancid air of the first Diablo game from far away (which is a good thing) but then, I haven’t finished Torchlight yet. I’ll give you the details when I have.

NB! And do not for second think that I’ll go through a post mentioning Diablo without bitching about the tosspots at Blizzard and their lateness surrounding the release of Diablo III. Bastards! All of them! I’ve been reading “It's too early to estimate Diablo III's release date” for the last two years and as a fan I’m getting very tired with waiting. Nothing can be perfect, just release the game already and then if something’s missing or you just get another bright idea – give us an expansion pack. Blizzard's usually very good at expensive expansions.

DO IT.

No comments:

Post a Comment