Wednesday 9 May 2012

"Hello, my friend. Stay a while and listen."


It feels like I should say a word or two about Diablo III and the fact that the game will finally be released from the shackles in which it has been kept for so long, deep in the dungeons of Blizzard Entertainment. May 15th is the big date and I’ve already pre-ordered the Collector’s Edition which has apparently sold out in the web shop I ordered from. It worries me that I can’t see the product in store any longer. It doesn’t feel right. It says in the confirmation email that’s it’s a little over 6lb heavy which made me squee like crazy. It’ll be so pretty I could die.

My relationship with Diablo started in 2001 when I borrowed the first game from a classmate (read: extorted from her) and it’s been a lasting love. I recently dusted off that first game and took my time to enjoy all that nostalgia that welled up from deep inside at every quest. My favourite is still on the 14th level where you run into the Blood Knight Lachdanan who wants nothing more than rest in peace. Find him the Golden Elixir and you’ll receive the Veil of Steel. The Halls of the Blind is another favourite.
"I can see what you see not.
Vision milky then eyes rot.
When you turn they will be gone,
Whispering their hidden song.
Then you see what cannot be,
Shadows move where light should be.
Out of darkness, out of mind,
Cast down into the Halls of the Blind."
Even though Diablo II’s aspirations were larger and the story was deepened and I bought the Diablo Archive (four Diablo novels in one) it hasn’t left the same kind of impression. As much as I wanted to try all the different classes I got tired of it too fast. Since then, I’ve waited for Diablo III and I’ve wasted my time with Titan Quest: Immortal Throne in the meantime. It’s a substitute as good as any.

But I don’t need a substitute anymore.
I can get the real thing.
Soon, precious, soon.

1 comment:

  1. Rymdnörden, du vet vem ;-)13 May 2012 at 23:55

    En mer spelfrälst kompis frågade om någon visste vad för stort som skulle ha premiär på tisdag. Tack vare dig visste jag! :-)

    ReplyDelete