Thursday 29 December 2011

Just a little angry

I follow a lot of body-positive, self-esteem positive, queer, intellectual and feminist blogs because I, like many other women, need to work on my body-confidence but sometimes I get just as angry with them as I get with everything else on this planet.
I read this tumblr post
and went into a complete bitch-fit.


My self-worth is partly based on what I do which means that if I can’t be in “the real world” despite feeling sick about ignorant and/or bigoted individuals, I’m useless. If what I have to do is sit cooped up in my room in my house with no contact with the outside world just in order to drop my inferiority complex I might just as well kill myself because to me, that’s not a life. I need books, I need movies, I need news, I need debate and I need other people to feel good. Of course I can choose to only be with people that accept me completely as I am, that’s what I’m striving for, but I can’t be afraid of meeting and getting to know new people because they might prove to have another opinion from me or think little of me. That’s up to them. And on the subject of fashion and gossip: I don’t give a flying fuck how thin Angelina Jolie looked on this or that premiere because I know that that dress would look better on my curves. Because I have them - she doesn't.

So what? Well, I’m curious. I’m overweight. I’m queer. I’m sexual. I'm emotional. I’m feminist. I’m pro-choice. I’m fine with that. It’s “the real world” that’s not fine and needs changing but you can't undo all that wrong from behind a computer.

No comments:

Post a Comment