Thursday 14 March 2013

Books I found... rather disappointing. Pt.2.

Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë.

   I’ll give it to you straight – it’s glorified nonsense. It’s passionate to extremes and exaggerated to absurdity. Of course, I can definitely see how a reclusive stay-at-home daughter such as Emily could get bored to the point where dreaming and writing of passionate feelings and everlasting love is her only refuge. The narrative is great, mind you, it’s the characters I can’t stand. None of them invoked any kind of empathy with me and the only reason to why I read it to the end was because I just wanted to know what was so special with this book to make it an obvious choice to put on a books-you-must-read kind of list. Every single thing these characters uttered to each other was hateful and mean.
   It’s apparently a classic so inevitably someone will at some point tell you to read it and please, by all means, do! But I won’t pass on an opportunity to tell you what I thought about it.
   I wouldn't put it on a must-read-in-your-lifetime list.

1 comment:

  1. Rymdnörden, du vet vem ;-)14 March 2013 at 16:50

    So, something for the afterlife then? ;-)

    ReplyDelete