Wednesday 13 March 2013

Books I found... rather disappointing. Pt.1.

Anger Management for Beginners by Giles Coren.

   I have reached the conclusion that Giles Coren is an asshat. Granted, he’s a quite handsome and eloquent asshat but an asshat nonetheless.
   As I’ve finished his book Anger Management for Beginners I’ve learnt all those things about Mr. Coren that I really didn’t want to know after enjoying Supersizers as much as I did. Aside from what I already did know - that he’s a columnist for The Times, a food critic and general misanthrope - I’ve gotten to know plenty of other things that just can’t be unlearnt and doesn’t really speak to his benefit.
   Anger Management for Beginners is the kind of books that could vent your anger for you. If you wake up one day and feel terribly angry because you absolutely loathe airports, there’s a chapter about that which you can read (chapter 2: Travel), have a laugh and hopefully not murder someone when you get to said airport. I can gladly admit that I giggled like a mad person when reading some of the book (for example chapter 5: The Boat Race is a hoot) but regretfully those few chapters or parts of chapters can’t weigh up to the ones I found truly offensive and sometimes even going against the general public good - like the chapter where Coren explains that a real man doesn’t wear a cycling helmet but would rather die or the chapters in which he explains that he hates fat people to the point where he’s certain that the statement “fat and happy” just can’t be and feels that anorexia is better by far.
   Coren’s hate is inexhaustible and seemingly unstoppable and it’s applicable to most things, but to me it just seems like he’s infinitely bitter, in acute need of some self-distance and a calming cup of tea. Also, he should maybe keep to being a food critic and only that. I still love Supersizers.

1 comment:

  1. Rymdnörden, du vet vem ;-)14 March 2013 at 16:45

    To quote Jerry Seinfeld: Men's brains function so poorly that they don't even try to stop the cracking of the head that they are in :-)

    ReplyDelete