Wednesday 24 November 2010

The Hutt recommends: the Witcher

Andrzej Sapkowski - The Last Wish.
It's the first of the novels about the witcher Geralt of Rivia. Years ago I watched the Polish tv series Wiedzmin (that's Polish for "witcher", and the film is just a cut version of the series, no joke) and have admired the RPG computer game since it came out in 2007 (oh well, mostly the booklet and the special edition artbook that came with the game a friend of mine bought, and this year The Witcher 2 is out in stores - whoopie!) so I figured that I should complete the circle and read the books that all of it is based on. I have. I'm not disappointed. Far from in fact. If I'm in the situation where I have to choose between one of the three (now four, but forget that for a moment) I'd choose the books. Why? Mainly because there's was a lack of funding with the series/film(seen from Western standards of course) and with the game I'd actually have to do something to make the story move forward. I'm lazy and Sapkowski makes fairytales so much fun. Snow White suddenly turned into a vicious mercenary out for blood and the Genie in that bottle... isn't as well-behaved as you remembered him to be in the Disney film.


What still sort of strikes me as odd is how I when I watch game trailers see this strange similarity between Geralt and a certain bitter (yet extremely handsome) elf prince (I'm talking about Nuada from Hellboy II here).
It's worth at least a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment