Sunday 31 December 2017

Welcome to Disaster Area 20-17

Wow. This year. 

   The bar was set so low you would think it's impossible to fuck it up, wouldn't ya? 

   I love how Hollywood suddenly realised that the greater majority of people on this planet is neither white, nor in fact male. Funny, huh? Somehow the realisation that diverse films earn more money than whitewashed crap came as a shock to them. Like... seriously?!

   It's infuriating to realise just how much the powerful men of Hollywood can keep quiet about when it's 99,5% women who end up the victims of these predators in their midst. They knew Harvey Weinstein was abusing and assaulting women and did nothing... until we found out.
   And for anyone calling this a witch-hunt; yes, we're witches and we're finally hunting the predators down. This is something we should have done ages ago with the likes of Roman Polanski and Woody Allen too. Make rapists afraid again.
Put them out of their jobs.
Don't trivialise their actions.
Or our experiences. #metoo

   I mourn the deaths of both of my grandfathers, as well as my paternal grandmother, while the rest of you can join me in mourning of Bill Paxton, John Hurt, Gösta Ekman, Nelsan Ellis, Rikard Wolff, Chester Bennington, Tom Petty, Harry Dean Stanton...
   Moreover:
  • I entered singledom again.
  • I went to a The Rocky Horror Picture Show audience participation showing and IT WAS SO AWESOME.
  • I went to Budapest with my sister for a spa weekend in April. Not only was I told by my massage therapist that I had to work on my anger issues (I do, but what the hell...) but I also caught a severe cold that lasted me for a fortnight and stole my voice.
  • I celebrated Towel Day hobbit style.
  • After waiting for over a year and a half after buying the ticket I finally got to experience Russell Howard!
  • I had one helluva midsummer. Magical. Just wow. I still can't believe how much fun I had.
  • I got to try and be the boss-woman at work for two weeks. Everything that could go wrong, went wrong for me to try and fix. But as it turned out I learnt a lot in the process.
  • After a brief hiatus of one year I went back to the Medieval Week on Gotland, with new silks no less! I had a blast. And got home with ulcers, a hangover and a fever.
  • I lost three out of four grandparents in a span of four months. Rough as fuck.
  • My asshole roomie Sengir moved in. Soon all of my possessions were covered in a fine layer of his ginger hair and everything is as it should be. I am become a Crazy Cat Lady.
  • I had Ben and Jerry's Non-Dairy Ice-Cream and for a moment all existence was awesome.
  • I made sure to make my intentions clear at a huge demonstration against Nazism here in my city. We won this round. Lets keep fighting.
  • I finalised the process of getting myself sterilised. There are no critters ever crawling out of this uterus. #notyourincubator
  • I celebrated Halloween decadently, with gusto.
  • I got myself that tattoo I've wanted since I was thirteen years old.
  • I've been to see movies at the cinema no less than ten times this year.

   If you feel like this Year Review is getting you a bit down, I'm terribly sorry since that wasn't my intention at all, but it's been a shit year hasn't it? Good thing it was over quicker than it takes to pull a band-aid. We'll simply have to end the review on a lighter note!

Favourite Picks of 2017

Movies: Moonlight, Logan, Get Out, The Handmaiden, Trainspotting 2, Logan, Thor: Ragnarok, Professor Marston and the Wonder Women, and did I mention Logan? 


Books: Isaac Asimov didn't disappoint with his 'Caves of Steel'. 'Revolution' by Russel Brand (!!!) turned out to be much better than I expected. 'The Fall of the House of Cabal' by Jonathan L. Howard left me pleasantly bewildered. 'Flowers for Algernon' by Daniel Keyes was a thrill-ride over too quickly. 'Redshirts' by John Scalzi grew on me. 'The Day of the Triffids' by John Wyndham was good ol' classical scifi at it's very best! The Book Thief by Markus Zusak was emotional as hell, especially with everything that's going on politically at the moment. The Bone Doll's Twin by Lynn Flewelling. For a closer look on what I've read this year there's my Goodreads profile.
TV shows: I added this category because we need to talk about 'Westworld'. Like, we really do. Because Thandie Newton . Also: 'Dear White People'. I thought I enjoyed the movie but hoo boy, how I must have been mistaken because I loved every second of the show to the point that I never wanted it to end (there will be a second season, some champagne please!). Speaking of things that never end; the thirteenth Doctor is a woman! THE DEFENDERS, FUCK YEAH. I finished the Defenders in two binges and want more. More Daredevil. More Jessica Jones. More Luke Cage. More Claire Temple. MORE! The 2nd season of Stranger Things was way too short and I need more, STAT.
Events: Moonlight winning Best Picture at the Oscars the way it did (OH MY GODS!!), Wonder Woman made a killing at the box office once again proving that we're truly starving for both female heroes and female creators. THE BEES ARE COMING BACK! HIV/AIDS is no longer the number one cause of death on the African continent. We outed so many predators in Hollywood. Good job. Scientists have come up with a way to regrow the Great Barrier Reef. My new buddy Sengir moved in with me.


Just like last I year I will not be making any resolutions for the new year but instead wish, and hope, for more kitty snuggles, more human touch, and more tasty food and drinks.
And remember:
"It's Chaos. Be Kind."

No comments:

Post a Comment