Tuesday 14 February 2012

Happy S.A.D. everyone!

Valentine's Day is that sort of fabricated holiday that makes me really furious (what holiday isn’t fabricated though?). It doesn’t have all that much to do with me being single because Valentine’s made me sick when even back when I was together with someone. It’s the whole idea of commercializing love and putting a value on it. Love is an all around the year thing and is not to be bought. Making it pink doesn’t make it any better - as if pink wasn’t horrible to begin with.
Valentine’s Day began being celebrated in the 13th century but was actually established at the end of the 5th century and by the Middle Ages it became fashionable. It wasn’t until the 19th century that we began giving each other cards. By now it’s more about chocolates, dinners, flowers, teddy bears and all sorts of things – the pricier the stuff the better it would seem. Call me a stick in the mud if you will, but I think that’s bullshit. When did handwritten cards or letters that actually means something go out of fashion? I don’t want a card that’s been given to hundreds of other people! That’s not love. That’s laziness and a huge lack of imagination.
Now that I’m single Valentine’s makes me more than a little bit bitter. I do realize that I’m like hundreds of thousands of other singles out there with all this pent up anger dribbling out bit by bit in a blog post that only a selected few will have the energy to get through but I can’t help it. I’m not even going to try and stop myself. I can’t stand all the hypocrisy surrounding the concept of love. But mostly, I'm bitter because there's no reason to feel bad about being single. Being one half of a couple does not mean you're complete.
I am not a cynic.



Happy Singles Awareness Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment