Monday 28 May 2012

Summer paradise

Dear dudes and dudettes, it seems to be summer outside and the winds are warm even up here in Sweden. We sure love the warmth up here! (Oh well, most of us at least.)

While doing the last of schoolwork for the semester I'm trying to consider what this summer will bring - it's the first time since 2004 that I will not attend Sweden's largest medieval festival The Medieval Week on Gotland. It feels a little strange but also it's like a weight has been lifted from my shoulders.

Honestly, I'm relieved. I will not have to spend all of this summer with the anxiety and pressure that comes out of feeling like I have to create new outfits for this Week of Weeks since I always spend it dressed up. Last year I brought one set of clothes that looks like something created on this side of the millennia. Those were the clothes I wore while travelling there and back.
It's fantastic but this year I can do without it. I've also finally found a job that's not in eldercare. Where I live, it's the most common job for those of us without higher education (and those of us with some useless degree in, lets say, the humanities). Almost everyone I know has at some point had a job in nursing or eldercare. Weird, isn't it? "No education? Here, take care of our sick and elderly!" Not for me, not this summer.
It's also strange that I know absolutely nothing about what will happen after my trip to New York at the beginning of June. I usually plan everything. Now, I know nothing.

Wrong. I know one thing. I will enjoy this summer. 
I have to because I've fucking earned it.

No comments:

Post a Comment